2. In India, value of Vix has been computed by the NSE since November 2007 based on the out-of-the-money (OTM) option prices of the Nifty . It has touched a high of 85.13 and a low of 13.04. As it is mentioned in percentages, value of Vix can never be below zero or more than 100.
3. Historical data indicates that India Vix has a strong negative correlation of negative 0.8 to the Nifty . This means that every time Vix falls, Nifty rises and every time it rises, it means that a fall is imminent. India Vix touched a value of 85 percent, a few days before Nifty touched a bottom post the Lehman Crisis.
4. India Vix has a mean of 26.65 and a median of 23.83, these figures are important for option writers and traders since Vix has a tendency to revert to the mean.
5. The India Vix contract will have a weekly settlement and have three running contracts along with three spreads between the contracts (spreads are the difference in prices between two contracts). One need not have the vision of a planning commission or a economist to trade the contracts. A smaller vision of one week or a maximum of one month is good enough to determine the . Shorter term Vix indices are more responsive to short term which will be induced due to corporate , government policy announcements or RBI's policy changes.
6. is easier to predict than price. One will not know the price of Infosys after it announces its results, but it is easier to know that will increase immediately after profit and guidance numbers are announced by the company's management.
7. Vix are also considered to be a better hedge than a index future.This is because Vix indices are more volatile and offered three to four times more returns than an asset based index. The recent 5.4 per cent drop in the Nifty between January 23rd 2014 and February 13, 2014 resulted in a 14.8 per cent change in the index.
8. The high gains are precisely the reason why speculators are attracted towards it. NSE however, has kept the lot size for each contract at around Rs 10 lakh which will attract a margin of Rs 2 lakh, thus making the product more expensive for the retail investor.
9. Currently India Vix is in the lowest quartile, which partly explains the Nifty trading within three per cent of its all time high point.
10. In order to promote the contract, NSE is offering rebate ranging between 10 and 40 per cent in transaction charges, depending on the overall .
*source- buisness standard